Having a gazebo is a great little space to entertain guests and relaxed outdoors. However, when gazebos are exposed to constant rain, the fabric deteriorates quickly, therefore, waterproofing our gazebo canvas is essential.
Some gazebos can withstand rain for a long period because of its PU coating. PU stands for Polyurethane; this is a permanent waterproof coating found in gazebos like The Coleman Event Shelter Deluxe.
So, how do you waterproof your gazebo? By treating it at home with special waterproofing chemicals such as Kiwi Camp Guard, Nikwax or silicone spray.
How to apply waterproofing chemicals to your gazebo?
Things You’ll need:
- Rusting spay.
- Waterproofing chemicals.
- Popup gazebos like the Airwave have roof canvas that is easy to remove. Unhook the snaps or Velcro strap that attach the canvas from the frame.
- Inspect the frame for signs of rusting. If rust is found sand that area and spray on a coating of rust inhabitant paint.
- Place to dry aside, now focus your attention to waterproofing your gazebo canvas.
- To protect your canvas from dirt, spread a tarp on the ground, then spread your gazebo canvas on top.
- Wash canvas by using a water hose, or a power wash to remove dirt and sludge. For extra cleaning use a broom to brush the canvas.
- Once clean use the broom to sweep away excess water. Allow to dry and do the same on the reverse side of the canvas.
- When both sides are dry, shake the can of waterproof spray, hold the can at a 45 degrees angle, eight inches away from the fabric.
- Then spray the chemical ensuring every area of the canvas is coated.
- Apply are second coating and allow the fabric to dry. Finally, do the same to the reverse side.
- When dry, reattach the roof and side panels to the frame.
Don’t forget to waterproof the seams!
Yes, using waterproof spray is effective, but also ensure there are no leaks from seams in your gazebos.
Manufacturers use seam tape; a thin strip of waterproof tape to cover up sewn areas in your gazebo canvas.
Over time, this tape will lose its stickiness and peel off. To ensure this doesn’t happen, the silicone seam sealing is done at home; by diluting silicone and brushing it into the seam of the canvas.
The best waterproof spray for gazebo
The best waterproof spray repels water and protects your canvas from UV rays. You deserve the best, even though these sprays are inexpensive. Here are my favorite waterproof sprays that will offer the strongest protection.
Nikwax Tent and Gear Solarproof Spray-On Tent Waterproofer
- Does not have any smell.
- Easy to spray on nozzle.
- Doesn’t change your gazebo fabric.
Kiwi Camp Dry
- Available at local supermarkets.
- Reliable and affordable.
Staydri Fluorocarbon Spray-on Water Reproofer.
- UK based.
Q & A
Do waterproof spray smell?
Yes, there is an odor when you first apply the spray on your gazebo canvas. However, if you allow the canvas to dry the odor will eventually disappear.
How many coats of the spray should I use?
If you are using a heavy-duty spray one coating is enough. But, for extra protection apply two coatings.
Gazebos are expensive, however by adding these extra steps will prolong the life of your pop up.